Monday, August 29, 2016

Owning It

Hello friends!

Holy bubbles! I'm done with my UCLA Program! If you haven't been keeping up you can read about my program here and here and maybe here. Now that the program has ended I thought I would reflect on some key things I gained from the program, as well as some of the things I've learned throughout the past year of my acting career.

AUDITIONING IS THE JOB.
The one thing every instructor and guest seemed to repeat was that the audition is the job. You are considered a working actor if you're going out on auditions because THAT'S what you have to do for the rest of your life! Unless you get into the top 5% of actors whose work is so well known and trusted that roles are actually written for them (I'm talking about you, Leo. Congrats on the Oscar. ILYSM). With that in mind they want us to love the process of auditioning and look at it as our time to do what we love, which is to act. Taking that mentality in with me to my auditions has really helped me with the audition jitters. Now I can go into a room and act like the role is mine for five minutes. If they like me, then they like me. If they don't, then better luck next time! It's taken off a lot of pressure and has made me a much more confident and less desperate actor.

THE CASTING DIRECTOR IS YOUR FRIEND.
We've had a handful of casting directors come in to speak, we're talking big name casting directors (i.e. Pretty Little Liars, Friends, VP of casting at Warner Bros. and NBC) who have all told us that they are on our side. They WANT us to succeed because they WANT to look good for casting the right person for the role. Us actors go into rooms and look at them as a roadblock to our future when really, they're quite possibly the REASON for any success we happen to achieve. My instructors have all said that you're not auditioning for the part, but for the casting director. If you leave a good impression with the CD as a hardworking and talented actor, then it is literally their job to remember you for a role that you'd be good for. Develop a good reputation and relationship with the CDs in the business and you'll be going in for a lot more auditions.

INCREDIBLE FRIENDS.
I feel so incredibly fortunate to have found my people. To be in a community of like-minded artists who love the art and want to create as much as you do is seriously... priceless. I don't have family in the business, and I didn't have many friends either. I was lost and was figuring it out on my own. The classmates turned best friends have been the GREATEST part of the program. I know that we will continue to support each other, include each other, root for each other, and do this crazy industry together. If any of ya'll are reading this, LOVE YOU!!!

DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE.
This is self-explanatory. People remember assholes. I didn't have to learn it, but some people do. *throws shade*



CONFIDENCE. 
One year ago if you asked me "What do you do?" I would have told you that I was "Pursuing acting". Actually, up until about three weeks ago I still would have told you I was pursuing acting. I stayed away from the answer "I'm an actor" for fear of judgement. I feared people would either scoff because it was so absurd to pursue a career in the arts, or scoff because they thought "Who does this girl think she is? Does she want to be famous or something?" I was almost ashamed of my decision to chase my dream. Plus, if I said I was "pursuing acting" then it was still a work in progress. I wouldn't have to answer the follow-up question of, "have you been in anything I may have seen?" to which I would have to say, "um, no... probably not." It was a security blanket for me. If I didn't call myself an Actor then I would still have an out. It wouldn't be real. It would be me chasing after something intangible and I could jump ship at any time and just call it a phase. End the chapter with the at least I tried mentality.

But this program has solidified the fact that I LOVE ACTING!!! I love telling stories, I love making people feel things, I love entertaining, I love the healing that can come from both performing and witnessing. I love it. I am so, SO proud to call myself a storyteller and I absolutely cannot WAIT to tell more stories! And that is the biggest lesson that I've learned from this program: I effin' love acting and I am so glad that I decided to go for it.

_____


A few weeks ago I worked on an unpaid USC student film. I loved the work. I am willing to be poor and work three side jobs forever if it means I get to act. That's an amazing feeling.

Anyhow, I'll be back with an update on the jobs and auditions I've been able to go on. Until then, keep me in your prayers! God's been opening doors left and right, which tells me I'm in the right place right now. I can't wait for what's to come!

TTYL,

Olivia Liang, Actor.


3 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! Your signature, "Olivia Liang, Actor" gave me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Olivia!!! Always rooting for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile :]. I 100% relate to the part about how you answered the nerve-raking question: "what do you do for a living" with "pursuing acting." Because we aren't established artists with thousands upon thousands of fans or even $$$$$ to our net worth, it feels as if we are deceiving others by self-titling ourselves as something we have not yet earned. But, I applaud you for closing this chapter with a BANG and starting a fresh new page in your story. Such a beautiful read and excited for your future and to see your acting abilities take me on an emotional roller coaster ride. YOU ARE A STAR!

    ReplyDelete